My beloved cousin always participates in this one, and once again I really liked the questions today, so here goes!
1. Which do you prefer-pretty gift wrap with a bow or a pretty gift bag with/without a bow? What percentage of your holiday gifts are currently (as in right this very minute) wrapped in some form or fashion?
I like gift bags with lots of tissue paper, bows not necessary, but I do like ribbon that’s been curled. My favorite way to wrap a present (not that you asked this, but I wanna share!) is with a Christmas-y kitchen towel, some twine and a sprig of evergreen or other holiday decoration.
2. What is one item on your Christmas list this year?
Same as last year, and the year before that and the year before that, all the way back to the time I could first make a list. A horse! Preferably a palomino, please.
3. What makes a home?
I have a picture of a potted flowering plant, and it says, “Bloom where you’re planted.”. What makes a home to me is a positive attitude.
4. Motown founder Berry Gordy celebrates his birthday today…are you a fan of the Motown sound? If so who’s your favorite Motown artist and/or song?
I ADORE Motown! I grew up listening to Dale Dorman on WRKO, which was an AM station in Boston and he played a TON of Motown stuff. My top 5 favorites off the list of 100 on Joyce’s post is as follows, in no particular order:
I Want You Back – Jackson 5
Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone – Temptations
Signed, Sealed, Delivered – Stevie Wonder
What Does It Take (To Win Your Love?) – Jr. Walker (love the saxophone!)
Since I Lost My Baby – Temptations (although I like Luther Vandross’s verson better)
5. Red or green…which one is more prevalent in your closet?
Hmmm…I like both colors equally, although red seems to be more seasonal for me.
6. True or false-bacon makes it better? If you answered true, what’s your favorite dish made with bacon?
True! My favorite dish with bacon is simple…candied bacon! Have you tried it? Dredge a slice of bacon in brown sugar…sprinkle with a bit of chipotle pepper if you like it a bit spicy, and bake in the oven til crispy. O.M.G.!!!
7. Share a favorite holiday memory.
When I lived in Japan (and also in Colorado), my parents would send me a box of gifts that always included the sand tart cookies they made every Christmas. Oh, Dad could roll those SO thin, and they were buttery crispy goodness. I still have the cookie cutters: the ones we used were a Christmas tree, a bell, a star, a Christmas stocking, a bird, Santa, a horse and a Scotty dog. The horse ALWAYS got cinnamon sugar & walnuts on it, the rest of the cookies were sprinkled with colored sugars. Hmmm…maybe I’ll give these a try this year with Dave’s 4 year old grandson to give me a hand decorating…
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Sunday is Dave’s birthday and I’m surprising him with a sleigh ride in Jackson NH! The ride also includes stopping at various places to sample their chocolate goodies. The sleigh is heated, and I booked the 4 PM tour so we can see the pretty Christmas lights. The place also has a great skating pond, so maybe we’ll do that, if he wants. Not sure he’s a skater!
Joyce runs The Wednesday Hodgepodge if you’d like to play along!