This was originally a prompt over at PROMPTuesdays quite some time ago…somehow it got lost in my drafts and is now being recycled as a story in 13 lines.
1. In June of 2001 my friend Sandy and I flew down on a Friday to visit Grace, a woman I used to work with when I lived in Colorado.
2. She was living in the Orlando area, not far from the happiest place on earth, and Sandy and I were looking forward to going there with Grace and her beau the next day.
3. Unfortunately, that evening I drank most of a bottle of red wine during a spirited game of Apples to Apples and wasn’t feeling my best on Saturday, so I stayed behind.
4. I had called an old boyfriend when I arrived…we hadn’t spoken for some time but he was always much on my mind.
5. He returned the phone call Saturday and we made plans to meet for lunch.
6. As was our habit, we never really made it to lunch and checked in to a hotel instead, where I didn’t let the fact I had a huge hangover affect what we did all day.
7. We made love over and over and over again, talking about what had happened between us and how much we missed each other.
8. He admired my new tattoo, which he’d never seen before.
9. And didn’t mention the extra weight I’d put on since the last time we’d seen each other.
10. I cried, he cried and he cursed himself for being stupid, for marrying the wrong woman, for many things.
11. He told me how he thought of me all the time, even, once or twice, accidentally calling his wife by my name.
12. I cried when it was time to leave him and we made plans to get together the next day.
13. We never spoke again.