Thirteen Favorite Quotes
1. “A man can stand anything except a succession of ordinary days.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Have you ever noticed just how very true this is?
2. “If you obey all of the rules, you miss all of the fun.” – Katharine Hepburn. Kate knew what she was talking about
3. “Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.” – Confucius. Smart man, that Confucius. This is one of the things I find most true in photography.
4. “The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.” – Friedrich Nietzsche. I appreciate this one more and more as I age
5. “All people are born alike – except Republicans and Democrats.” – Groucho Marx. Funny man, that Groucho. I had a huge crush on his brother, Harpo, when I was in my early teens.
6. “Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.” -George Eliot. This is so very true…and I have a hard time following this idea, but I keep trying. That’s all one can do, really…try.
7. “I live in the present. I only remember the past, and anticipate the future. I love to live.” – Henry David Thoreau. This I TRY to do, but remembering the past is almost a mandatory thing for Cancerians.
8. “Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” – Albert Einstein. Yes! And see, this was one of the smartest men in the world.
9. “There are many ways to be free. One of them is to transcend reality by imagination, as I try to do.” – Anais Nin. To me, this is more than a quote, it’s a way of life. Try it sometime. Kind of goes hand in hand with what Mr. Einstein was talking about.
10. “I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand / Walking through the streets of Soho in the rain / He was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook’s / Going to get himself a big dish of beef chow mein” – Warren Zevon. One of the greatest songs ever.
11. “If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance.” – George Bernard Shaw. LOL my skeletons dance the mambo, the hula, the limbo. They’re quite active
12. “Frodo: Go back, Sam! I’m going to Mordor alone.
Sam: Of course you are, and I’m coming with you!“. True friend, true valor, and a bit of humor, too
13. “Will Turner: What vexes all men?
Tia Dalma: What, indeed.
Gibbs: Well, the sea!
Ragetti: The dichotomy of good and evil.
Capt Jack Sparrow: A woman.” Smart man, that Captain Jack Sparrow…and hot and funny, too I’d share my rum with him anytime
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!