Thirteen Things about Christmas and me!
1. I LOVE Christmas! It’s such a magical time of year. Miracles do happen, you know.
2. The Christmas songs are fantastic; Chestnuts Roasting, Jingle Bells, Santa Baby, Silent Night, Father Christmas, even Santa Claus and His Old Lady by Cheech and Chong…love it all!
3. The decorations are just so beautiful and I love getting them all out, being flooded with memories about where I got this one, or that one. My first ex-husband and I really got into Christmas and we bought many decorations together…I ended up with them. I like to put the tree up as early the day after Thanksgiving, depending, of course, where Thanksgiving falls in the month, and I don’t take it down til a week into the new year. Only see it once a year, might as well enjoy it!
4. Finding a perfect present for someone and watching them smile when opening it…love it!
5. I don’t look at Christmas as a stressful time; I look at it as a beautiful holiday, full of goodwill and a spirit of loving and kindness.
6. I even enjoy shopping; I love to watch the people in the malls.
7. Receiving presents is always good!
8. Visiting friends and seeing their decorations is good too!
9. I love baking holiday cookies; we had a tradition in our family of making cookies called Sand Tarts. You had to make the dough beforehand, chill it, then roll it out thin and use cookie cutters. Then we’d brush them with beaten egg, sprinkle on yellow, red and/or green sugar or sprinkles, saving, of course, the cinnamon and walnuts for the horse cookie cutter. Don’t know why, but the horse always was done different. My parents would do this each year and I couldn’t wait to do this with my kids. Alas!
10. A holiday table, laid with all the trimmings, and all the foods I enjoy cooking at Christmas: roasted turkey or maybe a crown roast of pork, chestnut stuffing, mashed potatoes, green crunchy string beans with slivered almonds, brussels sprouts with a mustard sauce, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie for afters…mmm!
11. Although I’m not religious, I love going to a church service on Christmas Eve and singing the carols & hymns, not that I can carry a tune to save my life (but I do know all the words!).
12. Carolers; I love wandering carolers, especially when it’s snowing!
13. The smell of a fresh Christmas tree, or wreath!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!