Thirteen Things I love about June!
(the list is up early for the US, but it’s Thursday SOMEWHERE in the world, right?)
1. It’s my birthday month; I share a birthday with Cyndi Lauper & Todd Rundgrun, Ed Bradley (60 Minutes), Jai Rodriguez (the cute lil guy from Queer Eye), Mary Lynn Rajskub (10 points to those who know who she is), Steven Page from BNL, Dan Brown (he wrote The Da Vinci Code), and Meryl Streep, to name a few.
2. The Summer solstice, aka the longest day of summer, yippee! (unless you’re in the southern hemisphere, then it’s December lol)
3. When I was in elementary, then high school (dudes, I’m so old there WAS no middle school at the time) June was freedom, freedom, glorious freedom from school!
4. Cookout time!
5. I visited England and Scotland for the first time in June and LOVED it.
6. It was the month I got my favorite job (working for an AF general when I lived in Japan)
7. My friend, Gaylen, her daughter, Reva (she was about 7 at the time) and I took a trip to Okinawa in June 1994. To me it was sooooo hot; to Gaylen, born and raised in Louisiana, it wasn’t nothin’!
8. Speaking of Okinawa, it was the first time I ever saw habu sake; here, let me share with you a picture of this tasty treat (if you’re squeamish, don’t look!) (I WARNED you!!!)
9. I also visited South Korea for a week in June of 1995; I
had wild sex with stayed with an old friend I knew from when I worked at Hanscom AFB (yes, I was married; yes, we were legally separated; yes, my soon to be ex-husband was back at Yokota, living with his german girlfriend in the airman’s dorm; yes, I thoroughly enjoyed myself with my friend, who, coincidentally, was the ONLY one to warn me about my soon to be ex, back when he was my soon to be husband…go figure). My friend was stationed at Osan Air Base, which is just 48 miles south of the Korean DMZ, and of course we I had to see that. We were also anticipating the base’s big 4th of July celebration which, sadly, was cancelled due to the tragic collapse of a five-story department store in Seoul, which killed 501 people and injured 937.
10. June is National Rose Month, and who doesn’t love roses!
11. Did you know that no other month begins on the same day of the week as June? I like the fact that June is different!
12. The birthstone for June is the pearl, Alexandrite, or moonstone; they are all beautiful!
13. My friend Betsy got married in June!
Betsy and her bridal party
(yes, I’m in the picture. I’m the first one sitting, it kinda looks like Betsy’s foot is kicking my head)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!