My friend Maureen and I drove to Jamestown, NY to visit our friends Kim and Kris (Dave stayed home and took care of Wolf) and luckily the trip coincided with my birthday hehehe. The first night we made the most delicious salad from Wegman’s salad bar.
we love Wegman’s!
Up early the next morning for a long walk with Mo (as is our habit when we visit Kim). Then off to Lilydale where I had a past life reading (my friend Claudia mentioned she’d like to hear about the reading and it’s kind of long, so that will be a separate post up soon), as did Maureen and then we wandered around Lilydale for a bit.
We joined Kim at her country club (she’s a dentist) and had a light lunch.
Later that evening we went to Forte, where the girls treated me to a lovely dinner. I had something called Corn Agnolotti; it’s described as “home-made stuffed pasta filled with corn, polenta & Marscapone cheese tossed with delicate crab, green peas & carrots in a corn milk cream sauce with a hint of truffle” and holy MOG was it GOOD! We shared a couple of appetizers, too: a devilled egg platter (the chip & dip one was amazing) and drunken mussels (described as “a traditional Belgian preparation: one pound of mussels sautéed with home-made crumbled chorizo sausage & onions in a mellow beer broth alongside french fries & a Pommery mustard aioli”). Also had two bottles of wine!
For dessert, chocolate stout cake and a ginger cupcake with green tea ice cream. I was stuffed at that point and only had a few bites!
But it was delish, especially the ginger cupcake with it’s yummy bit of candied ginger inside.
The next morning we took a trip to Amish country and stopped at so many amazing places.
My mother was from Lancaster, PA which has a large Amish community and we spent a few vacations in that area, so this kind of felt like home to me.
After that, we toured the Southern Tier Brewery and emjoyed the most amazing Creme Brulee Stout. I bought a bottle of that yummy stuff!
And after THAT we went to a party at Kris’s house and sang songs and had a great time.
After all that eating and drinking, I still lost a pound when I weighed in on Tuesday!
All in all, it was a fantastic time and I’m so glad we made the trip!
Posted in June = Birthday Month, Photos, food, friends, travel, weight loss | 16 Comments
Thirteen things I’ve seen recently, in NYC (1-5) and up in NH (6-13)
1. Shibas! Lots and lots of shiba inus, in all colors and sizes. Even one with just 3 legs. Also a little alien looking dog with a multi colored mohawk. He was cool!
2. An amazing view out of the window of the hotel we stayed in. There was a building with gargoyles all the way around, and off in the distance, the Brooklyn Bridge…with a full moon over it.
3. Yuengling beer at a cocktail party! Who knew Yuengling was a big thing in NYC!
4. So much delicious food! From amazingly delicious hors d’œuvre, to fried chicken and waffles (great sweet & savory combo), to the best croque-madame I’ve had outside Paris, I had a great time satisfying some food cravings!
5. Wicked storm clouds and lots of lightning, which looked spectacular over the Brooklyn Bridge!
6. Foxes: There was a mama and her two babies who live underneath the cabins of the place we stayed at. Clear as day, there they were, napping under the lilac bush, munching on a freshly caught mole, or giving us the eye if we got too close
7. Bear poo! Very stinky and yucky and blech.
8. Waterfalls…one of which was where the bear poo was next to.
9. An eagle, flying high high high in the sky
10. Trout: We visited a hatchery, and also Dave did some fishing in a few steams, which resulted in trout in our cooler (now in our freezer, to make a delicious meal one day).
11. Raindrops: It was nice Wednesday, rained a bit that evening (was really hypnotic to listen to) and drizzly Thursday…heck, we even drove through a rain cloud up on top of the Kangamangus Highway!
12. little black bugs that are barely visible but woe to you if they bite you (you won’t feel it when they do…but later, you’ll think you have a cancerous tumor!)
13. Fireflies that lit up the night…I love seeing them, they look like tiny Christmas lights flittering here and there.
What have you seen lately?
Posted in June = Birthday Month, it's all about me, travel | 7 Comments
Got this in the mail yesterday … what an AWESOME way to send a coupon!!!
Posted in June = Birthday Month | 11 Comments
I’m going to share something with y’all every day. Today, I’m sharing what Jenn shared with me just a few minutes ago: The Lover. I’ve been wiping drool off the keyboard ever since…damn!!!
Posted in June = Birthday Month | 9 Comments